Saturday, March 03, 2007

They say I have to use the new Google blog thing

So I was reading some friends' blogs and saw that Brent had a new post... well relatively new... anyway, I also saw the comment left by Rob. This prompted me to want to post something. So I went to sign in to blogspot and "they" said I had to change to a google account. I'm not really sure what that means and frankly I don't care, I just wanted to post something. So apparently I now have a google account.

About me in the last few weeks:
1. I have been sick twice in as many weeks. Kids are full of diseases and germs and with my stress levels right now my immune system is not the best so I have been catching everything. And attendance in my classes have been just decimated so I KNOW there are sick kids around sharing their nasty little germs.
2. I have gone to full time teaching since the beginning of the semester hence the profound dropoff in postings. I sometimes feel I hardly have time to think let alone keep up with this. There are so many other things I have let slip and this is at the bottom of a very long list.
3. After having watched An Inconvenient Truth for the first time and watching a documentary series called Planet Earth on CBC Newsworld (an absolutely stunning visual array of life forms on our planet, co-produced by CBC and BBC) I am feeling depressed by how much humanity has destroyed our natural world. I mean the Planet Earth documentary is beautiful and magestic but there is an underlying sadness in the narrator's voice as he talks about the wonders on the screen and the fact that in fifty years many of these creatures will be gone. I am saddened by the fact that humans have caused this destruction. We have not been good stewards of our resources and we consume and consume and consume. As a result of my reflections, I can't help but relate to the author of Ecclesiastes who says:

"Meaningless! Meaningless!"
says the Teacher.
"Utterly meaningless!
Everything is meaningless."

What does man gain from all his labor
at which he toils under the sun?
Generations come and generations go
but the earth remains forever.
My hope is that the earth DOES remain forever, but will it remain the way I know it now? With icecaps and polar bears? Jungles and pandas? Or will it be a barren, overcrowded cesspool of pollution that is too hot for people to live near the equator and has millions of refugees displaced from their homes due to flooding and tropical storms?
Now that I have depressed any of the last few readers that have stayed with me thus far, I must tell you that I have to go to the stacks of marking I have to do before Monday when interim report marks are due.
I hope you have a happy weekend and a pleasant rest of your week. Don't let my despondent ramblings bring you down. They are merely what I have been thinking about lately when I happen to have time to think.

3 comments:

Robin M said...

i love planet earth - tim and i bought both seasons on dvd because we thought they were so spectacular. and everything is better when it is narrated with a british accent!

Jamie said...

I've been thinking a lot over the past couple years about how environmentalism relates to my faith and how we can bring "salvation" to the planet. I've been trying to take the bus more, reuse our shopping bags, buy less junk. I'm afraid to watch an Inconvenient Truth because I find it easy to get really discouraged by the power of industry. Was it just scary and a big downer?

Jamie said...

Hey, Happy Birthday Craisin!